writing and editing
- 2000-present: Freelance Writer for various magazines and newspapers.
- 2015: Editor-in-Chief, Gizmodo
- 2007-2014: Lead Editor, io9, a science fiction and science blog that’s part of Gawker Media.
- 2005-07: Contributing Editor and Writer, Wired magazine.
- 2002-03: Knight Science Journalism Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- 2000-2004: Culture Editor, San Francisco Bay Guardian, San Francisco, CA
- Oct.-Dec. 1999: Senior Editor, GettingIt.com, San Francisco, CA
- 1997-99: West Coast Correspondent, New York Press, Manhattan, NY
- 1992-2000: Founding Editor, Bad Subjects, Berkeley, CA
- 2007: President, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
- 2006: Vice President, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
- 2004-05: Policy Analyst, Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- 1999: Board Member, San Francisco Sex Information
- 1998-99: Lecturer, English and American Studies, UC Berkeley
- 1994-98: Graduate Student Instructor, English and American Studies, UC Berkeley
websites for a few courses I taught
- English 150: Violence and Horror After 1930
Spring 1999 at UC Berkeley.
- English 1A, section 10: Corporate and Anti-Corporate Culture
Fall 1997, UC Berkeley.
- American Cultures 31: The Model Minority in US Literature
Summer 1996, UC Berkeley.
- Ph.D., English and American Studies, UC Berkeley, May 1998.
- B.A., English, UC Berkeley, May 1989.